Undo food with Back To The Roots Ready to Grow kits!

Join the undo food movement and come back to the kitchen with Ready to Grow kits from www.backtotheroots.com!

Undo Food

So you think you know where your food comes from? The grocery store? The warehouse? The processing plant? The lab?

We have a right and an underlying desire to know what we are eating and where it comes from. People are often distracted and assume that of course, if it is packaged as food, resembles food, and tastes like food, so it must indeed, be just that.

We are easily convinced by mass marketing, complicated labeling, and a culture of being disconnected from our own food sources, that we are eating real food. Truthfully, we are unknowingly consuming GMOs, artificial and “natural flavors“, and a wide variety of chemicals used to treat, preserve, and grow our “foods”.

The sad truth is that a lot of what we think of as food, isn’t.

Back To The Roots is a business dedicated to the Undo Food movement and connecting people back to where food comes from. I want better for my family and encourage them to make educated food choices. One of the best options we have is to grow our own food instead of relying on big corporations to put sustainable farming practices, labor ethics, or feeding hungry people ahead of profits.

Take a peek at the scorecard of the Big Ten food companies and see how they measure up!

undo food

My family and I grow some of our own food. We have a garden every spring and there isn’t anything better than pulling our own carrots, plucking vine ripened tomatoes, or shelling peas from outback. I love to make things grow and sharing that satisfaction with my kids. Living in northern New England, we do have a relatively short growing season, so I’m always yearning to grow things indoors too. The Ready To Grow kits from Back To The Roots are a perfect way to grow more of our own food and all year round. Even when there’s 3 feet of snow outside.

There are kits available for a Mushroom Farm, Garden-in-a-Can, Garden-in-a-Jar, a Self-watering Tomato Planter, and even a Water Garden 2.0!

Undo Food

The organic Mushroom Farm comes with everything you need (except water). Seriously, it’s a simple process to start and mushrooms need very little support to grow. It is a fungi, after all. The kids and I started this “farm” just a few days ago and we are patiently waiting to see our oyster mushrooms sprout!

If mushrooms aren’t your thing, although, honestly, I don’t know how that could be (says this maniacal mushroom lover), maybe you’ll love the homegrown Garden-in-a-Can herb kits?

Again, everything you need (minus the water) is included. You’ll be ready to get started as soon as you pull off the lids! It comes with 4 “cans” that are well-marked for basil, cilantro, dill, and sage. Plant the seeds, find a sunny windowsill, and get ready to watch them grow!Undo Food

What is your family’s favorite vegetable?

Our favorite is broccoli, I think. It always surprises me, but my kids scoff up those little green trees, steamed or raw! And, personally, I think you haven’t really lived until you’ve had roasted broccoli: a crunchy, nutty heaven-sent dish.

Least favorite?

I probably have to go with yams or sweet potatoes. Not one of my favorites because of it’s texture, I don’t serve it often and have probably disenfranchised my kids on the healthy benefits of this funky veggie.

Being mindful of what we eat and where it comes from makes a huge impact on ourselves and the world around us. It’s time to undo food and get better connected to the food you and your family eat.

Start growing some food right in your own kitchen with Ready to Grow kits from Back To The Roots!

I promise to update with photos to show all of the progress with our Ready to Grow kits!

1. Elizabeth O says:

I think it’s a smart idea to teach kids about our food supply and how to grow our own. It builds respect for foods in general.

2. Laura Funk says:

My friend just bought the mushroom farm and loves it! I am totally getting those garden in a can things for my kids Easter baskets! They love growing stuff

3. Jennifer says:

You guys are amazing. This is something I want to dip my toes in and see how it grows. haha. I don’t have a green thumb so it scares me but I can start small and easy right?

4. Jasmine says:

How cool is that!? I would love to give this a try at home and I know my kids would enjoy watching them sprout.

5. Bree says:

These are such a great idea! Even better that everything is included. I will have to get some of these. Thank you for sharing 🙂

6. I love that everything is included in the kit. I love to plant a veggie garden every spring and I have fresh herbs as well.

7. Wow, these are awesome. We’ve gotten so far away from real food, as a society, and this is a great way to get back to the roots – literally!

8. Dawn Nieves says:

These are so cool! I need to get some of these to grow our own herbs and veggies. I can’t wait to see the progress.

What a great idea! It would be really nice to start growing some ingredients we use a lot. It will be fun and rewarding to see those garden-in-a-can herbs grow!

10. Totally have to get my hands on the mushroom one.
    My hubby is convinced it grows on horse pooh (snicker) so this would be so much fun to gross him out!

11. Ashley S says:

Oh this is so cool!! I love mushrooms especially! I’ve always grown my own herbs too. Saves money!

12. Ashley says:

My kids would love to grow things. We don’t have much garden space but these kits look perfect for small spaces.

13. Wow to growing your own food. At least you know where it comes from when you pick it from your own backyard. That is real organic.

14. Rebecca Bryant says:

We are all about our fresh veggies. I wish our property was better fertilize as i would love to grow a garden.

15. Kerri says:

These seems like such a fun project to do at home. Broccoli is definitely a house favorite and cauliflower, not so much!

16. Urvi says:

I am not good with gardening but I had planted coriander, mint, and fenugreek last spring and it turned out to be good. Hence this time I am planning to plant few more things. I like that “Garden in a can” thing. I can totally use that this spring.

• SavingCmnCents says:

I love growing mint…it’s a great addition to so many dishes! Here’s to branching out and growing even more this spring!

17. stacey says:

This is a great idea. I love the simplicity it offers which makes it accessible to anyone interested in healthy foods.

18. Lisa Rios says:

I love gardening so much, but could not spend time these days out there being busy with my kids. But these are some cute ideas where you can involve your kids as well & get it to the gardening stuff easily.

19. I love this! What a great way to get some fresh veggies going. I have been growing my own food for years and it’s always a delight to pick fresh

20. Jolina says:

This is wonderful! My grandparents used to have this massive garden where all kinds of fruit trees and vegetables grew. We would help them pick whatever can be eaten and would watch our grandma cook them. Ahhh the good old days! I don’t have my grandma’s green thumb though but this is certainly something I’d want to try.

• SavingCmnCents says:

My grandparents were green-thumbed too and I know it’s where I get my love of growing things! This would be a great and really easy way to get growing too!

21. I grow fresh tomatoes some years, they are great. These would be great for kids, the cans wouldn’t take up much room and they sound pretty simple.

22. Neely Moldovan says:

What a fun idea! I bet anyone would love to do this. My husband in fact!

23. Those kits are super cute and easy to get started. I grow a garden every year. I’d love something like this.

24. Anita Anderson says:

My son loves tomatoes. He likes them big or small. This would be fun to do at home with him.

• SavingCmnCents says:

My middle daughter is a tomato fanatic too! We are going to do some container gardening this summer to keep her in fresh supply! lol

25. Erica S says:

I live in Florida and you would think I would be rocking a backyard garden, but alas …every year I try, and eventually the bugs or heat win. So I have shifted to growing more in pots and that is working. I can’t imagine how much $$ I save in fresh herbs alone by growing my own.

• SavingCmnCents says:

I love growing things and living in Maine, it’s a short season too. I love that you’ve noticed how much money you’ve saved in just growing your own herbs!

26. Keikilani says:

I want to do a garden so bad! I am really interested to see how yours go. Inspire me!

27. Dawn Nieves says:

I love the garden in a can set. These are so cute, I think I need some of these.

28. Amber Faith says:

My favorite vegetable is carrots, but my least favorite is definitely broccoli. I just cannot like it no matter how it’s cooked or seasoned!