Top 10 ways to encourage learning and avoid the summer slide!

summer slide*

Summer is here. Hopefully there are long lazy days full of fun and relaxation planned. That doesn’t mean the kids stop learning. Babsy B points out in her latest guest post, “Top 10 Ways to Keep Your Child’s Brain Sunshiny Bright All Summer Long”, several easy (and free) ways to keep kids of all ages actively learning…and avoiding the summer slide.

Babsy B gives us simple ways to keep kid’s brains engaged no matter what their age! Try these reading, talking, and bonding suggestions and see how much fun it can be to engage in learning with your child!

Which Babsy B top 10 brain-building tool is your favorite?

Be sure to check out the Babsy B website and follow her on social media to find field-tested books, prints, and other products!

BabsyB

I hope you’ve enjoyed this guest post from educator and Babsy B founder, Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz, Ms.Ed. You can look forward to a monthly feature post about A-Z parenting topics from Babsy B! Babs is a parent and grandparent, a best-selling children’s author, career educator, and longtime consultant for schools, parents, and writers. And importantly, Babs is a former teacher for all ages and abilities and former school administrator.

*Image courtesy of Apolonia at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1. Its very important to keep the children learning but not in a stressful schoolroom like environ. Rather in the outdoors where fitness and health can be learnt too 🙂

• Babs says:

Hi Julie. You’re so right. Our outdoors offers tons of natural learning ops! Yes, my Top 10 can be done in or out. Thanks for commenting!

2. Reading aloud and with license plates as well makes up for a couple of usual habits for my nephews and nieces. I’m surprisingly glad they’re on this list!

• Babs says:

Hello Karla. Glad children in your life are utilizing this super and free read-aloud resource that’s right there and everywhere! Free for the reading! Thanks for sharing!

When the twins were younger, we would always prepare activities and exercises to keep their brain active, even if it’s as simple as tracing letters of reviewing their numbers, I always make sure they have at least one learning experience a day. It’s better to keep them learning!

4. Theresa says:

We definitely try to do out loud and silent reading each day. It really encourages the girls to keep learning all throughout the summer.

5. We do lots of reading year round! I try to play music all the time, too!

• Babs says:

Hello! Reading and music in the foreground or background are fundamental to building children’s listening skills. Thanks for sharing.

6. Emily says:

I am trying to do this with my kids, encourage learning. I still have little ones and they are super eager to do any learning activity. I am sure it will get harder as they get older.

• Babs says:

Doesn’t get harder as they grow older! It’s an insurance policy you lay out for their lives! You’re building their listening and thinking skills as you build talking or oral language vocabulary so all that you’re building now is the solid foundation for as they grow older. They will be ever more fond of language and books, so it’s encouraging and stimulating to witness their adept use of that language and knowledge you’ve made available to them. Yay for your children and you!

7. Laura Funk says:

These are great brain activities! The teacher in me loves these.

8. Pamela K says:

Thanks for sharing this because kids shouldn’t take the summer off from learning. You can make it fun but make sure they are learning something.

9. Amanda says:

Great tips! As a homeschool teacher, I’m the one who gets frustrated at the beginning of the year if we fail to keep up practice!

10. I really like the tip about reading aloud non-digital print each day. Reading is so important and with our littles I try to follow the saying, “If you don’t use, you lose it!” I would hate for my son to fall back this summer on all the progress he made this past year!

11. This is great. It can be challenging to keep kids interested in learning during the summer but there are so many ways to make it fun!

12. RaNesha says:

These all great tips give us all something to think about when taking the kids out to play.

13. Tara says:

These are fun tips. We love to play games and various versions of I Spy. We “spy” shapes, colors, things that start with different letter, etc. Happy summer!

• babs says:

Happy summer fun learning to you, too, Tara and your child! Sounds like you are enjoying several of the Top 10. Might you share some of a story about your day’s journey that you and your child conjure up? Thanks for sharing!

14. Nicole Escat says:

Even if it is summer, my son still learning. He loves drawing, coloring and reading bedtime stories although he still can’t read.

• babs says:

Nicole, take your hand, move it up and around behind your shoulder and pat yourself! YOU are his best teacher, and you have provided him with tools for drawing and coloring AND talked about his work with those tools which has given him stimulation to keep on doing those activities. And you’ve read books to him, so natch he loves reading his bedtime stories. You have a budding reader, writer, and lifelong learner there! Plus, you’ve given your son ways to spend time entertaining himself. Thank you for being there to teach him these lifetime enjoyable activities! And thanks for sharing that comment with all of us.

• Nicole Escat says:

Thanks Babs! I will check Babsy B’s website this weekend and see if my son will be interested in other stuff there.

15. Andrea says:

I am not a parent – but even looking at the post – it looks very inviting!

16. Babs says:

Hello Jacqui. Thanks for commenting. You’re so right regarding it being a great one on one activity. Kids love their own life story they end up telling.

17. Babs says:

Hi Rena. Glad you liked. Yes your twins will love the 8 board books right now. My 14 mos grand reads them all with his sis who’s 3. His favorites right now are “Where Is Monkey?” and “Giddy-up! Let’s Go!” and “SO BIG!” Thanks for bookmarking and please like us on all the social media.

18. I loved these. My grand children are twins and at 19 months I am always on the lookout for new books to read. I’m bookmarking this for my for future use.

19. Jacqui Odell says:

I love number 10. I think it will make a great one on one activity with kids.