Oatmeal Flax Blueberry Muffins
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Blueberry muffins are a family favorite at my house. Whether fresh blueberries are in season (we have some healthy blueberry bushes in the backyard) or I pull some from the freezer, there’s not much better for breakfast or brunch, then a batch of these blueberry muffins! Adding a boost of nutrition with some organic ground flaxseed is a healthy bonus and isn’t noticeable to less than delicate palates (like those belonging to my fledglings). Thanks to pinchofyum.com, I’ve got a new favorite recipe for the healthy blueberry muffins! With a mildly nutty flavor, ground flaxseed blends well leaving no gritty or grainy consistency. The texture of your favorite foods won’t be affected at all, but the nutritional benefits are substantial! Ready to bake a batch?
- For the muffins:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup buttermilk (or regular milk + 1 tsp vinegar)
- 1½ tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- For the topping:
- 1 tbsp cold butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease and flour
- Combine oats and buttermilk and let soak for 15-20 minutes
- Add melted butter, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla
- Stir by hand until well mixed
- Add flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Stir until evenly moistened
- Scoop a spoonful of batter into each muffin tin (to avoid blueberries sinking to the bottom)
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins
- For the topping, press the butter, flour, and brown sugar together with fingers until fine crumbs form
- Sprinkle a spoonful of crumbs over each muffin before baking
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown
If you are new to flaxseed, here’s the scoop on why you should be adding it to your favorite smoothies, yogurts, baked goods, and more!
Ground flaxseed naturally contains heart-boosting lignans, powerful phenols that have clinically been shown to boost heart health and promote healthy cholesterol levels.
The natural oils in flax seeds help to lubricate the digestive tract to improve regularity and support everyday intestinal health.
Viva Labs Ground Flaxseed is grown in the Central Plains of Canada, under full sunlight and cool winds to product the best the tasting flaxseed. Using a proprietary milling process, their flaxseed is never heated, preserving the essential omega-3s. They are also certified organic and non-gmo!