Nobody likes a whiner! Get great tips to stop the whining!

Ready for another helpful parenting post from Babsy B founder, Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz? Her latest insight focuses on why kiddos whine (when they don’t really even like to) and gives us tactics on how to stop the whining! It can be enough to toss a parent (or anyone within earshot) over the edge.  The excitement and celebratory chaos of the holiday season effects kid’s behavior (grown-ups aren’t the only ones to feel it) and can create the perfect whining storm. Be prepared to fend off those whining marathons with effective tips on how to stop and avoid it altogether and enjoy your holiday! Be sure to come back for “Whining: Part 2” in January!

[embeddoc url=”http://savingcommoncents.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Whining_Part1-1-3.pptx” viewer=”microsoft”]

I hope you’ve enjoyed this guest post from educator and Babsy B founder, Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz, Ms.Ed. You can look forward to a monthly feature post about A-Z parenting topics from Babsy B! Babs is a parent & new grandparent, a best-selling children’s author, career educator, and longtime consultant for schools, parents, and writers. And importantly, Babs is a former teacher for all ages and abilities and former school administrator!  Be sure to check out the Babsy B website to find field-tested books, prints, and other products.

Got a Biter? Be sure to read how Babs suggest we handle Bad Biting Behaviors!

1. Jonathan Key says:

Such great slides! Yes, we need less negativity in our lives and more of a positive outlook. Great reminder too as the new year is right around the corner. I need to remember to look at the glass half full instead of half empty too.

• babs says:

Hi Jonathan. Yes, that cup is always half-full! It stays that way, regardless of how much you drink from it. How can that be? It is so when we say it is so.

I’m reminded of the times I hear parents state a negative “fact” in front of their children:

“She’s shy.” [Child thinking: Hmm. Parent says I am shy, so I’d better act shy.]
      “He’s not gonna like this.” [Child thinking: “Yup, if Parent says so, then I gotta make it so.”
      “He’s gonna have a meltdown when he sees me leave.” [Parent goes to leave, and child screams.]

As Jonathan reminds us, it’s a new year. Let’s state positivity and watch our children act out that positivity. Happy New Year!

2. Tara says:

I love to sing to my kids. I will definitely try this!

• Babs says:

Great, Tara. Please share with us your successes…or otherwise. Happy New Year of Experiences! You’ll definitely enjoy my new CD titled TODAY’S SONG by Babsy B & Friends with 23 songs and 5 spoken poems, all for ages 0-5+++. It’s to come in a couple of weeks.

3. andi says:

and if the parents are not already whining – maybe it needs to start with them

• Babs says:

Hi again, Andi. I assume you reference that the parent is the model for the child. If so, I wholeheartedly agree. And that’s where I’d also place the rest of us…the role models for the child.

I’m reminded of a scene I witnessed last week in a store while in search of a worker who might help me locate a toy: A parent followed a toddler of about 3 yrs. The toddler had picked up a slightly-long-handled toy that was clearly unmanageable and potentially dangerous to the child.
      The child began swinging the item around. The worker turned from me to calmly caution the child/parent. In an angry, loud voice, the parent addressed the worker: “You don’t tell my child what to do!” The parent then turned to the child and said: “You don’t have to put that down. Do not listen to that lady [store worker]!” The parent turned to the worker and said in an angrier and louder voice: “Mind your own business! You don’t tell my child what to do!”

[I shall let you readers critique the role model this parent set for her young child.]

4. Lisa Rios says:

Parenting is always a challenging yet a great feeling & I think these are some great tips to take note to make sure our kids grow better. Such a wonderful post to stop the whining issues, which will be helpful for every one of us.

• Babs says:

Hello Lisa. I like hearing how you appreciate and look for the positivity in parenting. Yes, such a challenge, and all bound up with that wondrously wondrous feeling we parents gain from most every interaction and observation with our Gems.

Lisa, I’m glad you’re finding these posts applicable to these everyday incidents we experience with children, whether those children are ours or another’s. I do admire those who parent AND those who choose not to parent. The choice makes all the difference for our world of children.

On that note, I’ll repeat myself to say again…Not one of us has asked to be born, which means (to me) that we each deserve the best CARING CARE that our birth or adoptive family can offer to us. (“Adoptive” family, to me, includes the entire community around a child…thus, this post for a way to help another parent who’s embroiled in somewhat of a “minding bind.”

5. What a great guest post, I’ll be watching for your monthly series. My kids are grown but one of my grands was a biter until she finally outgrew that.

• Babs says:

Hi Terri, and thanks for your comment. Do come on back to share your sightings (and soundings!). Glad you found my Biting series of interest, too. Read my reply to Carol below for an idea, as needed. Happy New Year!

6. No kids so no whines, but boy, do I have friends I’d like to share this with!

• Babs says:

Hey, Carol, you have my permission/encouragement to toss this post right on over to all of us parents. IF we see ourselves in it, perhaps we see a useful/helpful tool. And if we don’t see ourselves, well, you can go to another area until that whining ceases. Seriously, I do just that…OR I break into some semblance of:

Someone’s whining.
      Someone’s whining.
      Is it me?
      Is it you?
      Who’s that someone whining?
      Who’s that someone whining?
      [Yes, the whining has silenced by now! AND you’ve modeled for the parental unit!]
      Whine no more.
      Whine no more.

Happy No-more-Whining Year! LOL

7. Yes we enjoyed this guest post too…. through your post we learn more about parenting and that is really helpful for parents!!

• Babs says:

Glad it helps, Jasmine. Thanks for the comment. Without a doubt, parenting is the one career that oughta require a series of high-falutin’ licenses, on-the-job-performance testing, re-testing, re-tests,…. Ah, with those thoughts in mind, we say to one another with heart: Happy New Year! (Parental Translation: More chances to pass “Go” and collect those hugs!)

It can really be hard to deal with when it happens. Any tips to help parents through it are welcome!

• Babs says:

Yes, Liz, “when it happens,” as you say. Hard-er, actually, because we are in the moment…emotionally. Our offspring and we are bound womb-like; when they act out (in the presence of others…ugh!), the ripples knock us off-balance. Emotions rise as feelings of surprise, embarrassment, dismay, bewilderment slam at us. Any rehearsed thought and practice can help “when it happens.” Thanks for that aptly-put reminder, Liz. Happy New Year!

9. andi says:

my mom coulda probably used something like this when i was growing up 🙂

• Babs says:

Hello Andi. Thanks for your comment. For sure…our own parents could have used all that we know and have at our fingertips today! (They’d likely add that they could’ve also used LESS of it at times!) It’s awesome to think about and to admire how my own teenaged-mother diapered 3 toddlers, scrubbed our diapers on the washboard before running them one-at-a-time through the wringer only to then rinse and wring them again before hanging outside on the clothesline to freeze solid in winter, sewed all our clothes and hers and my daddy’s, grew and canned all our food (to include nursing baby chickens in our kitchen until they were big enough to handle life out in the hen house), and much more…all the while my mother’d keep the fire stoked in our “Warm Morning” stove and cook 3 squares a day without a refrigerator, dishwasher, or any of the sundry items we enlist today to help us manage a home and family. In my childhood, we children grew into good helpers with all those necessary chores. Ah, children doing chores to help their family…a topic for another day! Happy New Year, Andi!

It’s always nice to learn more about parenting and things you can do to be better at raising your kids. Thanks for this feature, it would help a lot of parents, grandparents and more.

• Babs says:

Hi Elizabeth O. ‘Tis true, we can always learn more as we work to be our own best as parents. Glad you found this post of help. I trust you will come back here this month to share with us actions of your own or your private sightings of others’ actions…whatever it is you find that could be helpful to us all. Happy New Year to you and yours!

1. January 26, 2016

[…] If you’ve been following along with the latest guest posts from Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz, one of our featured writers, than no doubt you are curious about more techniques to shut off or at the very least limit the WHINING! If you have a whiner (or are within earshot of whiner), than hopefully some of her tried and true techniques can help diminish the whining. If you missed her first post on the subject, be sure to check it out here! […]