Easy Roasted Acorn Squash #recipe

roasted acorn squash

I’m grateful that my kiddos like veggies.; even the typically kid-boycotted vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and squash. Making this delicious side dish without having to peel, chop, steam, and mix means it is on the menu way more often at our house. All I do is slice an acorn squash in half, sprinkle some sugar and spice and add a dot of butter. I let it roast in the oven for an hour and it’s ready to eat!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Easy Roasted Acorn Squash
Author:
Recipe type: vegetable
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 servings

Roasted Acorn Squash is an easy side dish that you can serve pre-portioned in it's own skin. This fall/winter vegetable slow roasted and sprinkled with brown sugar will satisfy that sweet and savory fix!
Ingredients
  • 1 medium acorn squash, cut in half
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
  • salt
  • ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp packed light or dark brown sugar
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise,scrape out the seeds.
  3. Coat the flesh of each half with 1 piece of butter.
  4. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
  5. Spoon the brown sugar and remaining butter pieces into the squash.
  6. Roast 45 min to 1 hour, until fork-tender.
  7. Enjoy!

*This recipe is adapted from Chowhound.com

1. Hey that sounded really easy to make. I’ve never made acorn squash before but would sure love to try and see if my son eats it lol

2. I’ve just started eating squash. Thanks for this recipe.

3. Val says:

I love acorn squash. It’s a favorite in our house. I like to roast it in a shallow dish filled with apple cider, sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon. Very similar to this!

4. Kristin says:

I just love squash. This looks like it would make an amazing dinner. Thanks for sharing!

5. Laura Funk says:

Oh! I have been wanting to try acorn squash. Totally checking this out this weekend. Thanks

6. Ave says:

I haven’t roasted Acorn Squash with sugar before, but it sounds so delicious! Have to try it for sure!

7. I love squash, but I’ve never tried this one before. It sounds and looks just amazing!

8. Franc Ramon says:

This would be a better way to have kids have their veggies. It looks delicious too.

9. This recipe is so easy. I will try it for my family. I will say, I have never seen a recipe where adding a bunch of butter didn’t kick things up a notch.

Oh yum. This sounds so comforting! I’d love to make some for my boyfriend for the first time!

11. Amanda says:

I have never cooked a squash! This is enough to make me want to try .

12. Keikilani says:

I really love squash! I am trying to get the family a little more in love with it. They tolerate it. Your recipe looks so yummy.

13. Trisha says:

I’ve actually never made or cooked with acorn squash but it’s something I’d love to introduce to my kids. My daughter loves roasted veggies so I’m sure she is going to enjoy this as well!

Acorn Squash is so good. I recently had it for the first time at my son and daughter in law’s house.

15. I love cooking up squash of all kinds! For some reason, I don’t cook a lot of acorn though! This recipe sounds delicious and I NEED to add it to my squash recipe lists!

16. This looks super easy! Easy is always great. How does this compare in taste to a butternut? something about the taste/texture gags me so I’m scared to try other squash 🙁

17. Miranda says:

This looks too yummy and so easy to make, thanks for making me so hungry and sharing the recipe

18. Janet H. says:

I am a beginner when it come to cooking…thank you for sharing this recipe with us, this sound like a great side dish, I cant wait to try it out, it sound so tasty, yum (roasted acorn squash), this definitely will be dish that will satisfy my sweet and savory fix 🙂

19. Heather says:

Yum! It sounds delicious, I’ll have to find me some acorn squash and eat it like that for two reasons, easy, and good for you!

20. lisa says:

I have never made acorn squash before but this looks fantastic! What a great recipe for winter!

21. Karen says:

What an easy recipe, perfect for this season! My son is allergic to potatoes, so I’m always on the lookout for new squash recipes. Thanks!

22. This looks and sounds like such a delicious recipe! I love acorn squash. I really like how simple and elegant this preparation is!

23. Erica Brooks says:

I think I’ll give this a try. My daughter will eat veggies but my son gives me a hard time. Maybe since it’s sweet he’ll enjoy it.

24. we are huge fans of roasted acorn squash. I haven’t tried it this way so must add to my list of recipes to try. It sounds delicious.

25. Alli says:

I’ve always loved veggies. I think it’s because my parents always had a huge garden and we had so many fresh veggies when I was growing up. Squash is one of my faves and I love how easy this recipe is to make.

26. Polarbelle says:

I LOVE squash. I didn’t care for it as a kid but I’ve found it’s wonders now.

27. Tonya C says:

I wonder if my kids would eat that. They like veggies too but have never had roasted squash.

28. Bri says:

I have never had squash before, but it looks really delicious and healthy. I will have to give it a try since it is so simple to make.

29. I have never tried acorn squash…to be honest I’m not sure if I have even seen one in the grocery store. I love butternut squash and spaghetti squash so I am sure this one will be quite a treat. This recipe looks quite interesting!

30. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I love, love, love acorn squash. My sister brought one to Thanksgiving dinner at my mom’s house and it had bacon in it. I was in heaven!