I love that my Connected Home Nest Smart Thermostat is smarter than me!

nest thermostat

It’s time to batten down the hatches in New England;  winter is coming. Frigid temperatures are here. Rain, snow, ice, and wind are on their way. Getting your home ready for Old Man Winter is a must to fend off the cold. One major change I’ve made this season to make our home heat more efficiently is to install a Nest Smart thermostat.

The Home Connected Nest Smart thermostat guarantees we won’t come home to a cold house. It learns from us and our home and programs automatically to help save energy. I’m not responsible for remembering to keep things comfortable. There’s no more FREEZING cold wake ups with the kids trying to get dressed for school while staying under the covers. The Nest automatically warms up our mornings by increasing the temperature in our home BEFORE we get up.

This new 3rd generation version of the Nest is thinner and sleeker in design. It is powered directly from my heat source so there’s no need for batteries either. To teach my Nest thermostat, all I did was adjust the temperature according to our whereabouts.  For example, when we go to bed, I turn down the heat to a crisp 62 degrees and when we wake up I turn it up to a balmy 64. After just a few days, the Nest has learned this protocol and now does it for me. It knows our schedule and has self- programmed our temperature preferences which saves energy and money. Nest even tracks energy usage so you can see how much you’ve used and make any adjustments. I can’t wait to compare last year’s heating expenses to this year! Some local utility companies even offer rebates for added savings.

nest3

This Wi Fi connected thermostat is easily accessed from a smartphone, tablet or laptop, even when I’m miles away. Connected to our home’s wireless router, the Netgear Nighthawk, the Nest is simple to operate. This wireless router  has a DST adapter that eliminates Wi-Fi dead spots in your home and gives you the coverage and range you need.  We have a dozen “connected devices” in our home from smart phones, ipods, and laptops, to smart tvs so we demand fast, consistent Wi-Fi. The AC1900 comes with one DST (Dead Spot Terminator) adapter and is built to support 10+ devices. It even lets you prioritize devices for better streaming and lag-free gaming.

Best of all, Geek Squad Agents are available 24/7 via phone and web (with no need to schedule an appointment), if you have any issues installing or operating the Netgear Nighthawk!

This is what we had before the Nest. See those 3 AA batteries? One morning we woke up to 54 degrees thanks to the batteries in our thermostat dying.

nest4

The Nest is completely battery free and is powered directly by your heat source. It’s completely accessible by wireless internet and all updates are automatic.

My absolute favorite part about the Nest?

I don’t have to remember to adjust the thermostat (or change the batteries). The Nest adjusts the temperature all by itself.

Are you worried about how techy this amazing gadget is?

Don’t be. The Nest is truly smarter than me. It takes very little to operate and run the Nest. And, installation is  incredibly simple. All you need is a screwdriver and screws (which come with the Nest) and less than 30 minutes. Plus, you always have the back up plan of Best Buy’s Geek Squad Protection or having the Nest professionally installed.

nest5

As soon as I pressed the face of the Nest thermostat, it came on and started holding my hand through a few specific questions (like my language preference). It quickly recognized that we have a natural gas heating system and even picked up on our speedy wireless internet thanks to the Netgear Nighthawk router!

With basic installation questions that were easy to understand, the Nest guided us along and our install was finished in no time.

If you choose to, you can have a Nest Pro install your thermostat. They will remove your old thermostat, install the Nest, connect it to Wi-Fi, and give you a quick product introduction. If you have a dual fuel system (heat pump with a furnace or boiler) this might be something to consider.

nest6

See the little green leaf? The leaf appears on the display when you have chosen what is considered a temperature that saves energy. If I want to adjust the temperature while I’m at home, I can simply turn the thermostat to whatever temperature I want. If I’m out and about and want to change it, I simply use the Auto-Away feature.

nest away

After downloading the free app from iTunes or GooglePlay, I can adjust the temperature in our home, monitor our heating equipment, and even receive an alert if the temperature goes above or below pre-set limits….all when we’re not around. The Nest also works with cooling systems and other home automation devices like Nest Cam and Nest Protect for added security.

nest7

See what I mean about the Nest Smart thermostat being smarter than me? It helps me adjust the level of comfort in our home without even having to remember. It saves us energy which is better for the planet…and better for our budget. Old Man Winter can bring it this year, the Nest Smart thermostat has us covered!

The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.

1. We have a NEST too. It is amazing. It gets even better once it memorizes your schedule and works on it’s own! Love Best Buy and the NEST!

2. Kimberly says:

I really like the newer generation Nest! I’m all for letting technology control the thermostat.

3. Elizabeth O says:

I love the idea of a thermostat that is smarter than I am… I’m loving what yours can do, and it might be time to get a replacement for what we have. 😉

4. Jonathan Key says:

Wow the Connected Home Nest Smart Thermostat sounds amazing! This is such a cool idea and worth checking out!

5. Kyleigh says:

I NEED this! As soon as I’m in a house and not my dumpy apartment I’m buying on of these. I love the latest technology so I’ve been eyeing this for awhile now. Great review!

6. Great review. We have a very old thermostat system.. and I’m tempted to switch something like this.

7. I work for a heating company and we are setting this up for customers. It is a great service.

8. I have always wanted a nest ever since I first saw it. But before I can have one my family needs to get back on their feet and we need our own place.

9. I always forget to turn down my ac… I will definitely use this!

10. Travel Quest says:

I personally not a fan of winter so anything tools that can help me feel comfortable inside our home I am more than willing to check out. I have about nest product not sure if this kind of thermostat is common here. I might need to check out the Lowes or Home Depot.

11. Anna C. says:

That looks so cool! It’s a shame that my house it’s not prepared to use a device like that!

I haven’t heard of Nest before but I’ve seen similar looking devices. I think it’s a great way to conserve energy!

I can’t count the times I’ve left and not adjusted the thermostat. This would be amazing!

14. Wow, this sounds smarter than us, for sure! We need a new thermostat and I am so checking this out.

15. Claudette says:

Saw a post about this recently and was quite impressed with it. This is a really smart tool to have!

16. Karlyn Cruz says:

Being able to change my thermostat that easily would be a blessing! I don’t have an iPhone though.

17. Carol Bryant says:

My spouse and I rarely disagree and on the heat we do lol – I never heard of the nest and this looks like a great investment.

Oh no! I think making the switch was the right choice. I wouldn’t mind trying it out either.

19. dana vento says:

I love that the iPhone makes things so easy to control now and this is really an amazing thermostate

20. Jeannette says:

OK, I totally need this in my house! It would make it so much easier to control the temperature and with the cold weather coming, I sometimes need to warm it up before I get home!

21. Jasmine says:

I could definitely use this! I always forget to turn down my ac

22. I really want to get one of these! We have an older home though so I’m not sure it would work?

23. Patty says:

It’s great that the programmable thermostat has advanced like this. We heat with wood so we hardly ever run our heater.

24. I want this so bad! I’m going to have to check it out the next time I’m at Best Buy 🙂

25. My house always gets very chilly during the winter so it would be perfect for me thank you for sharing.

26. Erica says:

No way! You woke up to 54 degrees thanks to the batteries in your thermostat dying!
    Nest sounds like a way better alternative.

27. Tamara says:

I was researching an article on saving on energy bills a few months ago and this was highly recommended. I love a nest smart thermostat and we have one!

28. Pam says:

I love the idea of a smart thermostat! I need to convince my husband to get us one!

29. Joely Smith says:

I LOVE our Nest Smart Thermostat! Don’t you just feel like you were catapulted into the future and its AMAZING!
    I love that I have not had to adjust my thermostat even once since installing it!

30. Deanna says:

I read about this recently and it’s such a great idea. It is definitely worth looking into.

I always forget to turn down my heat when I travel. I totally need this in my life!