7 Energy (and Money) Saving Tips for those long Winter Months!

wintertips

It’s not officially winter yet, but Mother Nature sure is acting like it. We’re just the first few days into November and just got a taste of a few inches of the white stuff! Likely, it won’t stick around long, but there is definitely more on the way. This time of year I pay extra attention to our energy use and the utility bills. Here are 7 cost-effective ways to save energy during the colder months!

1. Install a programmable thermostat

Programmable thermostats are an efficient way to automatically control the heat when you are not at home or overnight while you are sleeping. Keeping the temperature of your home at a lower setting while you are away or tucked in for the night is a great way to reduce your heating bills!

2. Check for drafts

If you live in an old drafty house you may need to seal air leaks or install additional insulation. Consider getting a certified energy auditor to assess your house and make suggestions on where you could use improvements.

3. Repair with caulking and weather-stripping

Loose windows, gaping window frames or doors let warm air out and cold air in! Install weather-stripping around leaky frames or doors and caulk cracks or leaks around window frames.

4. Install storm windows and doors

While this can be a considerable investment up front, installing storm windows and doors will pay for itself (eventually). Keeping cold air out and preventing moisture from collecting on windows will reduce your utility bill and protect your home.

5. Clean and close your fireplace

A fireplace while beautiful is not an efficient heat source. Be sure to close your fireplace flue when it’s not in use to keep drafts out. And, an annual fireplace inspection by a professional chminey sweep  is a good safety tip too!

6. Use drapes

Lots of uncovered window during the day let the warmth of the sun in, but at night be sure to close all your drapes to reduce drafts at night!

7. Find out if you qualify

There are a multitude of different Weatherization Assistance programs available. Be sure to look into them and see if you qualify for help. You can learn how and where to apply for assistance in your state at Energy.gov. And, if you are purchasing new, energy saver appliances, don’t miss out on any tax credits for those energy improvements!

Are you ready for those cold winter months?

1. Great tips!
    We also make sure to be mindful that we use as much natural light as we can.
    I find that we have re-look over the winter months because sometimes we get lazy and instead of grabbing a sweater we jack up the heat.
    OOPS!!

2. We started weatherizing about 2 weeks ago; now we are in the middle of replacing our drapes. These are great tips!

3. Taralyn says:

Thanks for the tips! We need to get some drapes! Checking out the government site, too!

4. These are great tips. This is my first time being in a location where there are true winters. We will definitely be checking the house for all of these upgrades

5. I saw a few good tips here that I can put into place in my home now so that we will not go broke keeping the house warm this winter.

6. Debbie L. says:

Very good tips. Living in Wisconsin I am always finding new ways to save on energy. Winter are too cold to waste fuel.

7. We just installed new windows and so far it seems to be keeping the heat in VERY well.

8. Kristin says:

I never thought to close the curtains to cut down on drafts!

9. Debi says:

We do all kinds of tricks to help keep the house warmer in the winter, those oil bills get intense.

10. Kathleen says:

We definitely need to get some weather stripping in around our windows, the draft is quite chilly already.

11. Brrr it is already freezing up here in new england! We have been fighting turning the heat on and adjusting our body temperatures to living at only 60 degrees!

12. Rebekah says:

Yes yes yes, and all of this makes me SO glad we don’t own a house anymore. It was impossible to keep our old home warm.

13. We have heavy drapes on the sliding glass door and plastic on the windows. Our new neighbors planted a screen of trees across the road from our house so I hope in a few years they’ll cut back on the wind a lot

14. Elizabeth O says:

I will be forever grateful about these tips right here!

15. These are great tips. I’m glad I don’t need to worry about them as much now that we live in Southern California instead of the East Coast!

16. Kimberly Bergeron says:

I’m glad I have a wood stove cause we have so many leaks in our windows. Wood heats so awesome!

17. I leave our drapes open quite a bit to avoid turning on lights. It helps.

18. Shauna says:

Great tips. We used those under door mats when we lived in West VA and it really helped. Thanks for sharing.

19. Amanda Love says:

Those are all really great tips. I own my home so hubby does most of this work. We do call in someone to check out boiler every year though to make sure that it’s ok.

20. Trisha says:

We rent and are incredibly lucky that our landlord is responsible for the heating bill but, these are tips I could use to make sure that we aren’t losing heat!

Good advice. I plan on getting thermal drapes this next week.

22. Alisha Kostiuk says:

We put spray installation and new windows in and it has helped tremendously.

I’m guilty of forgetting to close the fireplace flu the morning after using it. I definitely need to close up some leaks around windows and doors too.

24. great timing I just wrote a post about winterizing your home too. temps are dropping

25. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

We put plastic over our windows to help keep the house warm. It usually works pretty well.