A Smoke Free Pharmacy?

cvs quits

CVS announced today that as of October 1, 2014, they will no longer sell cigarettes or other tobacco products. They will be the first national pharmacy chain to take this big step towards supporting health and wellness. You can find out more details HERE.

Since the announcement this morning, there has been a deluge of supporters saying “thank you” and “about time”. There have also been an onslaught of the outraged and upset. Go figure. The general consensus from those unhappy with the decision by CVS to be smoke free has been, “how dare you presume to dictate what I can and can’t smoke”. I get it. I really do. No one likes to be told what they can and cannot do. The problem with this argument is that CVS is not telling anyone that they can’t smoke. They are just standing behind their mission to support wellness.

If your street corners are anything like mine, all you’ll have to do is cross the street to a Rite Aid, Walgreens, or other pharmacy, grocery or convenience store to pick up your pack of smokes. No big deal. I applaud CVS and their decision to act in the best interest of the American public despite the fact that they are looking at a huge loss in revenue by not slinging cancer sticks.

What do you think?

1. YAY! I’m so happy to read this, it’s about time someone takes a stand!

2. Robyn says:

Good for them! No need to help smokers kill themselves.

3. Lexie Lane says:

Wow! Good for them! I know there are a lot of beaches and other places that don’t even allow smoking. So what if Obama had his way and marijuana became legal everywhere? Hmmm…

4. I think it’s a good move for CVS to stop selling tobacco products. Not everyone will like it but they’re just doing what’s they think is best for them. And now, they are in line with their mission to support wellness.

5. katherine says:

I think it should have been like this years ago.

6. Amanda Love says:

I’m so happy that they are going to be doing this. Sure they’ll lose some money but it’s for the best. I wish all pharmacies would follow in their footstep.

7. Cvs has stopped selling tobacco products in Mass for a while now. I think smokers will just go elsewhere.

8. That is awesome! I hate cigarette smoke, I am not a smoker but I hate to breathe it and for my children to breathe it when someone is smoking, I try to avoid it as much as possible!

9. I am so excited about this. From a child, I could never tolerate cigarette smoke.As soon as it would hit my nose I would stop breathing, instantly. It still affects me as an adult. People who smoke often don’t realize how there are some people whose body cannot handle the smoke. It’s just not healthy. And people who try to enforce it on others, I think are a bit on the inconsiderate side.

10. trisha says:

I think its a great thing to start advocating better lifestyle.

11. Love this! I’m so allergic to cigarettes! I wish all the drugstores did that, it would help us ban this bad habit for good, at least from the place you go to be healthy and buy medicine to get healthy!

12. I think it is incredible that CVS is doing this. I know it will cost them money, but it shows they really do believe in good health.

13. I have mixed feelings about this, and they are based on nothing that makes any sense. I am not a smoker, and I want my mom to stop smoking. I should be all ‘hoorah for CVS.’ Somehow, I am not. Not that I want them to sell tobacco, but in that case I want them to never sell alcohol either; or any other thing that is addictive. I am grateful for this step in the right direction they have taken. It was bold and very brave. I’m not sure it’s enough.

Well I hope the publicity does them well. we do not have a cvs near here.I don’t think smokers will care, but admire the fact they have taken a stand.

15. Cynthia says:

I am with you. I applaud CVS for this decision. It must have been a tough one.

16. Cara says:

I think this is a great step forward. With so much information about how smoking affects the body it is great to see a pharmacy actually looking out for its customers!

17. erica says:

I read about this, this morning. I think it is awesome. I bet smokers will boycott though.

Erica

18. Jennifer B says:

I am so proud of CVS for hopefully starting a trend to get rid of cigarettes for good. I have an aunt dying of lung cancer now and two other family members have died from throat cancer from smoking.

19. Danielle says:

This is a fabulous move. It never made any sense to me that in the interest of health, vaccines and such things were pushed but cigarettes were still on the market. Now finally, someone is making a move. YAY!

20. I quit smoking in 1997. I am personally THRILLED that CVS took this step. I think ALL pharmacies should be smoke free!

21. Chrishelle says:

You go CVS. I am a non smoker and nurse. I applaud this national chain for making a stand. It kills me to spend my day taking care of and educating a patient only to hear them tell me they are going to walk down stairs for a “quick smoke”

22. Susan says:

I’m impressed that CVS put health and principle above profit. Good for them (and me).

23. brett says:

i applaud it. CVS just won more business from us.

my mom died from complication directly relating to her smoking for decades 13 days before my youngest was born (and a big part of why she was born prematurely) and i will applaud anyone who works toward making cigarettes obsolete or harder to access

24. Dee says:

I think it is great…but I don’t smoke. 😛

25. Debbie L. says:

I think it is a good idea – I smoked for many many years quitting 10 years ago. Smoking is a terrible addiction. I think the more that stop selling cigarettes the better. As for the ones that feel it is wrong – you are right they can go to Walgreens!

26. Lisa says:

To be honest, most smokers know don’t buy their cigarettes at CVS, so it’ll be interesting to see if this changes anything. I’ll be watching 🙂

27. I am a non smoker and always have been. I can’t stand to be near people who are smoking, but there are a million other places that sell cigarettes, so I am not sure I understand what the big deal is.