Birthday Cake with Free Range Eggs…and Cucumber Plants?!
Five things that make me happy this Friday:
1) My daughter’s 7th birthday was this week. Every birthday that goes by, I get a little bit emotional because it means my kids are growing up and I’m getting older too. I’m so proud of this little girl…and see myself in her everyday.
2) My brother and sister-in-law are raising chickens (egg layers). Why would that make me happy? Two reasons: 1) It’s been a great learning experience for me and the kids for our own chickens some day and 2) FREE eggs! I will note there is a huge difference in size, texture, quality, and taste from your own chickens to store bought eggs!
3) I baked a cake from scratch…and it came out good?! Admittedly, it was a bit floury tasting, but the consistency was great…rich and filling. I’m guessing those free range eggs have something to do with it. I’ve been encouraged to try again!
4) My husband and I went to Walmart to pick up some replacement cucumber plants (ours had shriveled up and died)…ALONE. Yep, the kids (all 4, ages 15, 9, 7, and 3) stayed home for about 30 minutes. Everyone was still alive, no one was crying, and nothing was broken when we returned. Go figure? It was a very strange sensation being out and about alone together, but it made me happy.
5) I gave my next door neighbor a ride to a doctor’s appointment. He is elderly and suffers from Diabetes. Living alone and no longer driving, it’s definitely a hardship for him to get to important appointments. He had planned to walk to the appointment, but he is very unsteady on his feet and it was incredibly humid that day. So, I simply declared I would drive him. He accepted my offer and that made me happy.
What made you happy this Friday?