Bad Mom Moment #6435: No Pull-Ups or Panties, No Service

Bad Mom Moments.

We all have them. And, truth be told, those moments are not world-ending incidents that should require our “Mom” license to be under suspension or revoked. It’s simply the self-diagnosed feeling of inadequacy. I figure if we don’t share those times with other Moms (who I’m certain will, if not relate, understand, at the very least) than the overwhelming guilt will prevail.

With 4 kids under my wing, I’ve had lots of opportunities to fully indulge in Bad Mom Moments.  I don’t have an actual number of moments as I haven’t been keeping tally. I figure it’s probably way more than 6,435, but I don’t really want to know. So, I decided to just pick a number and go with that. Sometimes they are really little things, like making my middle daughter wear her big sister’s socks because she doesn’t have any clean ones. Sometimes, they are much bigger things…like last week at the library.

Hence, Bad Mom Moment #6435.
We have been heading to the library for tutoring for the last month or so, twice a week after school. The girls get off the bus and we have about half an hour to get ourselves ready to head out. Last week I was rushing. I had a 3 year old literally covered from head to toe in sticky popsicle ick who needed a quick wash down and new outfit. My two older girls needed a quick change of clothes (as it was much warmer that afternoon than in the morning), and to grab their borrowed books to return. I was busy and distracted, repeating my requests for reasonable clothes choices and inquiring about the whereabouts of everyone’s library books. I pulled it off though…we arrived and found a parking spot with 5 minutes to spare.

The kids love playing on the children’s level of the library. There are books, puzzles, games, a real, live guinea pig, and even a castle to play in and get rid of some energy! After about 30 minutes of them off and playing, my middle daughter comes running up to me with a horrified look on her face and shrieks, “Mom! Mom! Lexi has no Pull-Up OR panties on!” Lexi is 3 years old and smack dab in the middle of potty training. Evidently while rushing to get out the door, I put a pretty new sundress on her without anything underneath. As 3 year olds are immodest, she spent the better part of 2 hours hiking up her dress, bending over, and somersaulting throughout the library. I spent that time chasing her around, begging her to come sit with me and read a book (with her dress pulled down) and praying no one else would notice my Bad Mom Moment. Of course, I had no extra pair of panties or Pull-Up in my purse. My other option? Try to convince two of the girls to stop what they were doing to hike out to the car, drive back to the house, and then return to try to find a parking spot…all while leaving my other daughter at the library. I opted for toughing it out. The library does have a sign on the door requiring shirts and shoes, but, it doesn’t say anything about Pull-Ups or panties.

Stay tuned for more Bad Mom Moments from me. I’m sure I won’t disappoint.  I’d love to hear some of your Bad Mom Moments (just to make me feel better). 🙂

1. Shari G says:

Oh and thanks for linking up with my comment love linky! I would love if you linked up again 🙂

2. Shari G says:

This totally reminds me of when I was a kid. My younger sister was going through a phase where she would take off her panties at every chance. So whenever we were going anywhere we would have to check to make sure she had some on. Well one day, we got a call as we were walking out to church. We got distracted all ran out at the last second, and when we got to church we ran off to classes. After the classes let out my sister started crying, so one of the gentleman picked her up, and I was standing right there. I looked up and there was no panties on. Our eyes locked, and I noticed there was a bare butt on his arm. He promptly set her down, and brought her over to my mom. Didn’t say a word about the bare booty, but said he thought we should take her home instead of going to the main service. Than made a run for it. LOL He had picked her up before, as he was a family friend. But after that he would ask if it was safe to pick her up. I think he was terrified! For the record, we ran back home, and didn’t go back that day.

3. hahahha I can somehow relate to this. Ugh! that’s why i don’t want to homeschool my children because that’s when i have my bad mom moment.

4. couponwahm says:

lol….thanks for sharing…I needed that laugh.

5. FaVe Mom says:

It happens and like you said modesty is not a virtue that most toddlers possess. That’s ok, you got it all figured out. 🙂

6. good to know I’m not the only one that has them! lol

7. Victoria says:

I am sorry but I was laughing my but off. With three boys all under four I have my share of bad mom moments as well.

8. What a cute and funny story! I can’t yet relate, since my little guy isn’t old enough for incidents like these. But I’m sure anyone who saw just thought it was cute! It’s hardly a bad mom moment!!! It’s just a funny family story to tell to her future boyfriends ;)!

9. This was hillarious! Thanks for sharing that nobody is a perfect mom! Things happen but it’s just a matter how you make the most of it.

10. Momma Lew says:

Ok so I have to say THANK YOU! It feels great to know there are other moms out there who have these moments! It never, ever fails that your kid will have some sort of incident when you have no other provisions!

11. Oh boy – that sounds crazy and I can only imagine how you felt! But rest assured, it most certainly could have been worse! You did great! 🙂

12. Katie Jones says:

Oh that does sound pretty adorable though 🙂

13. Athena Nagel says:

That was funny but we all have moments like that. Glad it isn't just me!

14. Staci Luker says:

Oh goodness this post had me laughing! We all do things like that sometimes!

15. Gwendolyn T says:

I am so sorry, but that was hilarious. While I am sure that if it was me, my face would have been red the whole time, and I would be sweating from concern. Thank you for sharing, this gave me a great smile. I have tons of bad mommy moments too.

• Jessica says:

It is funny (even for me) now…that we lived through it without too much damage! 🙂 I'm glad I'm not alone with Bad Mom Moments! lol