My kids aren’t quite ready to head off to college…we are still have visits from the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa. So, I’m not preparing for an empty nest quite yet! But, I know a few fans are getting ready to send their “babies” off to school this fall. And, I’ve had a few requests for tips on care packages.
As a college student, I LOVED getting absolutely anything in the mail! It somehow made you reconnect with your family and friends back home. A heartfelt, written note, box of assorted goodies, or basket of delicious treats were always a welcome celebration! And my friends were always jealous….Pretty sure my mom loved me more. (Just kidding.)
So, here’s a few sites I’ve come across that might give you some ideas to send some “love” to your college student!
Provides custom created care packages from as low as $19.95 (plus s/h) and has a “kit” for everything…the Study Jolt, Just Because, the Examinator, Hang in There, and College 101 are all fun, creative packages to send!
Offers a “college cookie club” that ships 36 mini-cookies each month (there are different programs to choose from…3, 6, 9, and 12 months at $10.00 per month plus s/h).
Provides a bunch of different samplers and tins filled with popcorn, pretzels, candy, and cookies! There are some adorable assortments for as low at $19.99. And, keep an eye out for special Promotional Codes that might allow for FREE shipping or a % off.
Amazon.com has a great list of books for the new college student….everything from Cooking to Household Chores…let’s face it, Mom won’t be there to do the cooking, laundry, or cleaning! My Mom sent me off to school with “Where’s Mom Now That I Need Her” by Kent Frandsen
and it really did come in handy! My mom went through it before she gave it to me and jotted down a few of her own tips too.
And, of course, you can always make it more personal and build your own care package! Some things to include might be on this list:
- Roll of quarters (laundry, vending machines)
- Recent hometown newspaper
- Toiletries like: Feminine napkins, Tampons, Flip Flops for the shower, Lotion, Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Towel, Wash cloth, Toothbrush holder, Makeup, Deodorant, Contact lens solution, Hairspray
- Pictures of a recent event
- Letters and drawings from younger siblings
- Video of family sending their love
- Non-perishable snacks like: Potato chips, Corn Chips, Pretzels, Tea , Coffee, Hot cocoa, Ramen noodles, Canned pasta meals, Cookies, Mints, Gum, Candy bars or other chocolate, Microwave popcorn, Mac and Cheese, Instant oatmeal
I hope you got a few ideas on how to send some TLC to your new or returning college student! Good luck and try not to miss them too much!